COUNCIL MEMBERS PRESENT

* – Attendance; A- Absent; N – No Apologies Received

Cllr Mrs N. Turton – Mayor (in the Chair) *
Cllr. M. Fice *
Cllr Mrs C. Bricknell A
Cllr T. Lang *
Cllr Mrs L. Sinnott *
Cllr K. Baker *
Cllr P. Lafferty-Holt A
Cllr M. Long *
Cllr Mrs Kemp *

Also in attendance:
Dist. Cllr S. Wright A
Dist. Cllr Mrs Pearce A
Cty. Cllr. R Gilbert A
Gill Claydon (Clerk) *
Pete Robinson (Cemetery Manager and Project Officer) *
WPC Jo Pengilly A
Kristen Bounds Kingsbridge Gazette *

1. DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST

Members were invited to acknowledge any declarable interests, including the nature and extent of such interests that they may have in any items to be considered at this meeting. None received.

2. OPEN FORUM

No one being present this was dispensed with.

District and County Councilors’ Report.
None present.

3. CO OPTION

No further applications received this was dispensed with.

4. MINUTES

The Minutes of the meeting dated 26th September 2018 were duly signed by the Mayor as a true and correct record.

5. PLANNING APPLICATIONS:

The following applications were considered and such observations from town council submitted to District.
• 2743/18/FUL READVERTISEMENT (Revised Plans) Application for proposed internal and external improvements, alterations and refurbishment The Kings Arms, 18 Fore Street, Salcombe TQ8 8BU – No objection.
• 2744/18/FUL READVERTISEMENT (Revised Plans) Listed Building Consent for proposed internal and external improvements, alterations and refurbishment The Kings Arms, 18 Fore Street, Salcombe TQ8 8BU – No objection.
• 2884/18/HHO Householder application for front door porch Hangar Farm Bungalow), Beadon Road, Salcombe, Devon – Objection as it was felt that the plans illustrated that this proposal did not serve an access doorway. To add a porch at this point could create a new accessway and in view of the size this proposal was inappropriate in this location. Should officers not accept this consideration then there should be a condition that no visible lighting should be allowed due to the impact at this point on the dark valley situated outside the development boundary.
• 2972/18/FUL Single storey outbuilding with mezzanine floor to replace existing outbuilding Rockside, Flat 3, Cliff Road, Salcombe TQ8 8JQ – Objection The size and dominance of the proposed building was felt to be overdevelopment of such a small area which would affect the setting of the AONB and SSSI which sit adjacent to a Conservation Area. Whilst it was stated that the trees covered by a Tree Preservation Order would not be affected Town Council take issue with this point as it was felt that some would have to be removed from what was shown within the plans.
• 2973/18/FUL Listed Building Consent for single storey outbuilding with mezzanine floor to replace existing outbuilding Rockside, Flat 3, Cliff Road, Salcombe TQ8 8JQ – As above 2972/18/FUL
• 298418/HHO Householder application for proposed rear extension 2 Kings Cottages, Fore Street, Salcombe TQ8 8EN – No objection.
• 3131/18/FUL Demolition of dwelling and erection of 2 semi-detached dwellings with off street parking Loring View, Loring Road, Salcombe TQ8 8BL – Objection. This application was felt to be overdevelopment, unneighbourly, providing loss of light amenity to neighbouring Windjammer which was set lower and thus over all overbearing. The emerging Neighbourhood Plan ENV7 seeks ‘Maintaining the character and density and green infrastructure in this area’ and does not support sub division of an existing plot anywhere within this area. The property was set forward and thus its development was more visible as it was sitting in front of neighbouring properties and not in keeping with Neighbourhood Plan B1. There would be insufficient parking as it was stated that two parking spaces would be provided, one per property. Firstly the area designated for two cars was not physically big enough for two cars to sit side by side. Secondly the off-street parking access would remove one on street parking space from Loring Road. Emerging Neighbourhood Plan T3 recommended three parking spaces per property and thus an application for two properties would require six spaces. There would also be no amenity space whatsoever, not even a patio, and yet this provision was stated to be family homes for local people. Such lack of amenity space fell within policy requirements in the District Joint Local Plan that required amenity space for family homes so would also be contrary to the JLP.

WORK TO TREE PRESERVATION ORDER TREES

• 2703/18/TPO T1: Monterey Pine – deadwood removal (exempt), remove x1 limb on South side at approx 10 metres from ground level resting on house, remove x2 limbs on South side at approx 15 metres from ground level interfering with power lines; T2: Mimosa – fell, outgrown courtyard space, shading, resting on house, interfering with power lines Ringrone, Lane From The Bolt Head Hotel To Sharpitor Gardens, Sharpitor, Salcombe, Devon, TQ8 8LW – No objection.
• 2760/18/TPO T1: Pine – deadwood removal (exempt); T2: Sweet Chestnut – fell, remove, growing underneath pine, will not reach growth potential, decay in main stem, wish to allow young Beech on East side of T2 to grow on; T3: Holm Oak – crown reduction by approx 3 metres on all sides, taking a lot of light from garden The Wood, De Courcy Road, Salcombe, Devon, TQ8 8LQ – No objection.
• 2902/18/TPO T166 Beech: Fell, remove, main stem failure at 3m at point of wound to north, towards dwelling to south; T1: English Oak – reduce main western limb by 7 metres in line with boundary fence, overhanging boundary towards proposed development; T165: Beech – No works Netherwood, Bennett Road, Salcombe, TQ8 8JJ – Objection. None of these trees were within the Netherwood property in Bennett Road. Two were situated on Woodland Trust grounds and an English Oak T1 in an adjoining property. Despite a report from an expert these trees were felt to be in good enough condition as with other similar trees in the area. T1 works would remove just one limb which was not felt beneficial for the tree for stability and T165 beech was not within the applicant’s ownership and not felt to require works.

WORK TO TREES IN A CONSERVATION AREA

• 3307/18/TCA T1: Beech hedge – height reduction by approx 1 metre, too big for site; T2: Yew – complete reduction on all sides by up to 3 metres, too big; T3: Purple Plum – complete reduction on all sides by up to 3 metres, too tall; T4: Magnolia Grandiflora – complete reduction on all sides by up to 3 metres, too big; T5: Magnolia Campbelli – complete reduction on all sides by up to 3 metres, too large for garden Holmleigh, Allenhayes Road, Salcombe, Devon, TQ8 8HU – Objection on the grounds that the proposal to reduce up to 3 metres would be excessive works on many of these shrubs and most needed lesser works and therefore town council requested far more information to be provided as this was too vague. It was felt that the beech hedge required no reduction as there was no problem perceived.

PLANNING CORRESPONDENCE
NONE

6. PUBLIC REALM IMPROVEMENTS

It was agreed to DEFER this decision awaiting details from District regarding further hedge flail cuts and additional quotes for provision of bulbs. Cllr Fice advised that some organisations provided bulbs free to be planted in community spaces and this would be researched.

7. NEIGHBOURHOOD PLAN

Cllr Fice explained the next point in the process which was the submission for Regulation 15 for a six-week consultation period that District organised. Potentially further queries or objections could be raised during that consultation, but the plan would not be altered by the steering group or District both of whom had no jurisdiction to change the plan now. At the end of that six-week period any comments received were sent direct to the Inspector to check whether it was a true and sound plan. The steering group were already in the process of trying to appoint an Inspector. They had two names and one was the inspector for the Thurlestone Plan and the other was a consultant interviewed to create the Salcombe Neighbourhood Plan. Assuming the selected Inspector was happy with the plan they could recommend actions such as remove a whole policy, amend part of a policy or even state that the plan was not sound. Cllr Fice was hopeful it was sound as an outside health check of the draft plan had been carried out by an inspector who raised points and what she wanted was to make the draft policies stronger and not just statements. The final step was then a Referendum organised by District. Realistically the Referendum would be held in the New Year and due to the forthcoming Elections, for parish and District, in May District Planning might try to steer it till then. However, this could be perceived as a political move, so it was hoped that it would be conducted sooner. Major comments received had been from landowners and the Neighbourhood group had looked at these and made some adjustments. It was a solid, sound document that the town needed, and the group were now onto the next stage to it raised its important more as an emerging plan.

The draft Neighbourhood Plan content and policy were APPROVED by all present for submission to the Neighbourhood Plan Examiner.

The Mayor gave thanks to the Neighbourhood Plan group for all their hard work up to now and especially noted the expert input by Peter Sandover.

8. MAYOR’S REPORT

The Mayor was to meet Father Daniel to discuss a proposed second memorial service to be held on 11th November in church in the evening to compliment the morning War Memorial parade.

Regarding the proposed Town Welcome Sign County needed some indication of ideas, sizes, design and words to be used so that permission for siting could be obtained.

She had met with Cllr Wright, Peter Ralph of Rotary and the contractor’s representative to discuss the drainage works proposed on Whitestrand and Victoria Quay. The contractor would maintain access for the Over 60s centre and in Whitestrand the drain was within the side alleyway. Cllr Mrs Kemp enquired about access for the properties behind and was advised that access must be allowed, and the works were only for a few days. The contractor had stated they had permission for parking within the car park but that none of the District departments knew of this request. Whilst discussing these works those present talked about placing the Christmas tree within the community space. This area was going to be resurfaced so may not be available at this time, but Rotary mentioned they had a bespoke hole within the car park to support the tree along with provision of electricity etc. Cllr Wright agreed to look into provision of electricity and including such a hole in the community space. Cllr Mrs Kemp questioned why they were going to move the location of the Christmas tree. The response was that it would release four parking spaces and be safer for those visiting. However, there was concern around the table that the new community space would in fact hide the tree away round a corner. These points were to be raised with Cllr Wright as it was felt that there would be a, Christmas light, gap between Fore Street and the community space if the tree was place there. As the lights did not get turned off it could also be an issue with the property nearby.

The Mayor noted that Anna Turns had offered a map, which she had originally produced to illustrate where the ferries and other things around the town were situated, to be for town use. If this was supported, she asked for assistance of where to approach to get this done. The Harbour Office already had a map and Cllr Long thanked the kind offer but felt it did not reflect enough of the town. All those present requested to see the map so it would be sent around to councillors and placed on the next agenda for consideration.

She also attended the Devon Association of Local Councils AGM. There she had made good links with play equipment providers and heard various presentations. Approval was given for the Annual Report and it was noted there would be a 2% increase on annual subscription. After many years as County Secretary that Lesley Smith was retiring. On the same day she also attended the Kingsbridge and Salcombe Chamber of Commerce meeting where she was advised that membership was up. Discussion was taking place as to celebrations for the following year as this would be the 800th anniversary of Kingsbridge being a town.

Kingsbridge had received a District response to their aspirations meeting. No feedback from District had been received by Salcombe and a response to Kingsbridge Town Council stated they were not going to have a dialogue with Salcombe. District’s Commercial Strategy Policy along with other information regarding borrowing £60million was within the District meeting notes and Salcombe Town Council wanted to know what the plans for Salcombe were. The Town Clerk was asked to email Darren Arulvasagam to note he was following up previous meetings with other towns and ask why Salcombe was not included, as originally suggested, when District met and ask for reasons why. With £60million being borrowed to reinvest locally Salcombe Town Council should have some sort of briefing as to potentially how it could come into Salcombe (i.e. Batson Quay). As Government had removed the cap on the Housing Revenue account for borrowing and yet District Council was borrowing £60million it was questioned what in house capabilities there were for this task and why they were not looking to borrow for council house building across South Hams. There appeared a lack of democratic control over officers’ new responsibilities.

9. COUNCILLORS REPORTS

• Cllr Long – Advised that he and Pete Robinson would walk the woodlands this coming Monday and consider works required and planting. He had discussions with Honey Foskett and Nigel Mortimer, officers at District Council, about getting a management plan a created for Hangar Marsh. The officers would look at works to the boardwalk, hut and pond area and Cllr Long had a group of 4/5 volunteers to do tree works. What they wanted to review was what works could be done using the existing in-house teams.
• Cllr Fice – Had not yet contacted Nigel Blaseby as he had only received his details today. Andrew Arthur had agreed he would sit down with Cllr Fice and Nigel and go through the parade process.
• Cllr Lang – Relating to Ember Road there had been complaints that there were no road markings at the road end and this was causing confusion as motorists were pulling out without stopping. Bonfire Hill was also dangerous as lorries were following their SatNav down and a lorry got stuck last week. This he felt was urgent to deal with now.

CLERK’S REPORT.
• Kingsbridge Town Council had asked if Salcombe Town Council would join in a joint funding application into the Communities Together Fund (previously TAP Fund) to obtain a feasibility study with regard to providing and funding a cycle path all the way from Kingsbridge to Salcombe. Good Idea.
• Devon County Footpaths had advised that the footpath from Shadycombe Road to Gould Road had been confirmed and was now a Definitive Footpath and that the Footpath Officer would now sign this as soon as he could get to it.
• Highways had confirmed that the proposed works to Devon Road, Shadycombe and others would ensure that access was provided to the surgery in Shadycombe at all times. Further discussion was taking place with the public bus providers. Town Council questioned why Church Street was not included in these works.
• A resident had written raising concern that visitors both adult and children could enter onto the cobbled area around the stone and were leaning on the WWII Memorial within Whitestrand. They felt that this was disrespectful to allied forces and that if relatives were visiting it could be upsetting. They suggested that the memorial should be cordoned off with railings on two sides nearest the water with chains and a barrier off the two remaining sides. This was District Council as it was their memorial and land. Town Council felt that it should remain open for people to access and read and it was only a minority who did not pay due respect and a chain would not alleviate this.
• Rob Sekula had confirmed that the use of Section 106 monies for the works at Batson Creek were not appropriate for this project as it would not create a recreational space nor enhance the actual usable land.
• Cllr Long had agreed to attend the Allotments AGM to offer advice on the vegetation if it could be moved to 15th November.
• With regard to the outstanding invoice for works at Shadycombe cemetery Cllr Long had still not heard back from the contractor to discuss the discrepancy in charge approved.
• It was noted that a response had still not been received from Cllr Wright as to why there were different levels of charging in car parks meaning that Salcombe was much higher in cost. The town clerk was asked to contact Cathy Aubertin and Cllr Wright again. Cllr Lang noted that tourists had complained the toilets smelt disgusting.

10. FINANCE

Bank Balances
Current Account £500.00
Deposit Account £340,229.06

Received: Nil

Councillors APPROVED Internet payments in October to:
Parish Online – Annual Subscription £60.00
Softcat plc – Office 365 £30.85
Greenspace – Invoice 021 and 022 Berry Dragons teeth replacement and Redfern Woods broken fence and posts £574.00
SHDC – Bonfire Hill refuse September invoice £19.32

11. NEXT MEETING

The next meeting would be held on Wednesday 24th October 2018 in the Library at Cliff House, Cliff Road, Salcombe at 6.30p.m.

Meeting Closed: 7.45p.m.

……………………………………………….. 24th October 2018.
Town Mayor.

Download as PDF

Pin It on Pinterest